Change font size:

Adults who have a learning disability in Blackburn with Darwen can enjoy a short break at the Short Term Breaks service.

Short breaks for people with learning disabilities

What is available?

The Short Term Breaks service is located on St Aidans Avenue in Mill Hill in Blackburn. The service operates as a guesthouse to enable people who have a learning disability to enjoy a short break.

Short term breaks service exterior

The service has aids, adaptations and equipment to meet the needs of people with learning/physical disabilities.  Fully trained and competent staff are on hand to offer help and support where needed.

The service provides a lively environment with lots going on for people who like to be active and social. The building has five guest bedrooms, all en-suite with either a bath or walk in shower.  There is also a one-bedroom apartment situated adjacent to the main building, with private entrances. 

Short term breaks service bedroom

There is also a lounge and kitchen areas. These provide opportunities for people to experience greater independence but with the reassurance that members of staff are on hand if needed.

Short term breaks service interior

CQC Inspection Report

To view the latest CQC inspection information for St Aidans please click here

Who can stay there?

The service offers accommodation for people over the age of 18, who live in Blackburn with Darwen and who have learning and/or physical disabilities. However, in order to work out whether a short stay would best meet your needs, we do need to carry out an assessment. 

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on how long you stay and what services you receive.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs you can carry out a quick, confidential financial self assessment, online.

How much will I pay for services?


Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support.

What is Self Directed Support?


How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone and check that we've got our facts straight. We will then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available

St Aidans CQC rating - Good - 13 October 2017