Change font size:

What is available?

The range of services available to you depends on your personal circumstances but may include:

  • Home support, for example help with personal care, meal preparation
  • Help with transport
  • Equipment & adaptations, for example grab rails, ramps
  • Advice and information on HIV and AIDS
  • Advice and information on other topics such as work, housing or benefits.
  • Complementary therapies and emotional support
  • Signposting to other useful services
  • Short breaks for you and/or your carer.


Renaissance provide social care services for people living with HIV and AIDS in Blackburn with Darwen.   Click here to download an information leaflet about the services provided by Renaissance.  Renaissance's contact details are below:

Renaissance @ Drugline Ltd
Address: 2 Union Court, Union Street, Preston, PR1 2HD
Phone: 01772 253 840
Fax: 01772 887 927


Voluntary sector and other forms of support

The agencies listed below have specialist HIV services, many of which should be able to meet most or all of your social care, advice, information and support needs. A brief description of the services they provide is listed below, however please contact them for further information on the services they offer.


Local services



Thrivine is a friendly HIV peer led group that operates from the centre of Blackburn. It offers a weekly social support group every Thursday afternoon, it also has a monthly evening social support group on the third Tuesday of each month from 6pm. Thrivine also provides a number of courses related to HIV and also access to counselling and complementary therapy services.

In order to preserve your own and other service users' confidentiality, you will need to contact them by phone/email, or ask your health care team to refer you


Address: Eanam Wharf, Blackburn

Telephone: 07890 147 806




HIV Community Nurse

The HIV Community Nurse works across East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen to provide one to one support and advice. The Nurse is also able to support you in accessing local health and social care services

HIV Community Nurse

Telephone: 01254 669 425


CAB Hyndburn

The Citizens Advice Bureau, Hyndburn has specially trained HIV advisors who attend both of the HIV Clinics held at Blackburn Royal Infirmary and The St Peters Centre, Burnley. They provide advice information and support in regards to welfare, rights and benefits. The advisors can also be accessed at the centre in Hyndburn or can make outcalls if you are housebound. 

CAB Hyndburn

Address: New Era Centre, Paradise Street, Accrington, BB5 1PB

Telephone: 01254 304 116

Mobile: 07754 274 856



Regional services


Barnardos, Gregory's Place

Barnardos, Gregory's Place is based in Manchester and provides: information, advice, support, and group activities to children living with or affected by HIV, their parents, families and carers.

Telephone: 0161 273 2901



George House Trust

The George House Trust in Manchester offer services for people living with or affected by HIV in the North West of England. These include :

- Assessment, support and advice services
- Information, newsletter, website, information sessions
- Volunteer long/short term emotional and practical support
- Grants to help with household bills and essential items
- Counselling and Women's, Africans' and Gay Men's groups
- Carers support and Children's support and activities
- Events and courses for Gay Men with HIV, Africans and 'Saturday Space' for everyone.

George House Trust
Address: 77 Ardwick Green North, Manchester M12 6FX
Phone: 0161 274 4499
Fax: 0161 274 3355



Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council may be able to support you. We will talk with you about your social, physical, medical, emotional and financial needs.

However, in order to work out just how much, and what type of, help is needed to make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment. 

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

If you don't qualify for a care package from Adult Social Care you could arrange to employ a care worker privately through a Home Care Agency but remember to take care to choose one that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Follow the link below for more information.

List of registered care agencies

Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support. You can look after the money yourself or you can ask the Council to hold the money and help you find the support you need.

Self Directed Support and Personal Budgets



Is this confidential?

Yes the service provided is confidential.

How to get in touch

You can get in touch with the Adult Social Care Team and you are free to decide whether or not you disclose your HIV status. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.  In an emergency out of normal office hours contact the Emergency Duty Team on (01254) 587547.

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal and practical needs and to discuss what help is available.

image of red ribbon