The Reablement service provides planned, short term, intensive
assistance to adults. The intervention is designed to
maximise a person's independence following a period of illness,
disability or loss of confidence. Individuals are assisted,
in their own home, to try and regain the skills needed to live as
independently as possible and increase confidence in their own
abilities. The Reablement service also acts as a stepping stone for
intermediate care services and also health services such as
Occupational Therapy/Physiotherapy/GP/ District Nursing
The service's aims are:
- Enable service users to remain in their own home by promoting
independence and prevent daily living skills being lost.
- Prevent hospital admission.
- Support hospital discharge.
- Improve quality of life.
- Prevent dependence on domiciliary care.
- Support family/informal carers.
- Avoid admission to residential care.
Who is it for?
- All adults aged 18 and above.
- All adult residents of Blackburn with Darwen.
- Any adult who does not require hospital admission.
- Any adult who is experiencing a significant change in levels of
health and independence.
- Any adult who is able to participate in a programme.
- Any adult who has agreed to be referred to the Reablement
In order to work out how much help is needed to enable you to
regain and maintain your independence, a team made up of health and
social care staff will carry out an assessment.
What is an assessment?
Following the assessment, an individual programme of support
will be agreed with you. This may include a package of care
support where care workers will work with you to help you to do
things for yourself again. If it is decided that you need
help on a longer term basis, this will also be discussed with
How much does it cost?
The service is free and the support may last for up to a maximum
of six weeks.
How to get in touch
The Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for
all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from
8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. In an
emergency out of normal office hours contact the Emergency Duty
Team on (01254) 587547.
When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone,
check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up
with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and
to discuss what help is available.
about this service