Change font size:

What is available?

There are many different types of nursing homes in Blackburn with Darwen where a number of people live together, looked after by trained nursing staff, available 24 hours a day. They are independently run by a variety of private and not-for-profit organisations.

All registered nursing homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission so if you are looking for a home yourself visit their website at where you will find general information and copies of inspection reports.

Nursing homes

Who can go into a nursing home?

Nursing homes provide nursing care for people over the age of 18 who live in Blackburn with Darwen and are unable to remain living independently at home due to physical or learning disabilities, mental illness, sight or hearing loss. In certain circumstances, short term places are also available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities.

Please note: Nursing care in your own home is generally provided by district nurses but where your nursing needs require more frequent or specialist care than can be provided by them, then a nursing home may provide a suitable alternative.

What are the different types of care home?


We can arrange an assessment of your needs, including your nursing care needs, to be carried out by a social worker and a nurse. They will advise you on the choices available so that you can decide how you wish your need to be met. However, your choices may be restricted by the nature of your health and care needs.

What is an assessment?


Can I choose my own nursing home?

If, following the assessment, we agree that a nursing home is the best place for you to live, we can recommend all the nursing homes in Blackburn with Darwen that would meet your needs.

We encourage you, your relatives or carer, to make a considered decision by visiting the homes to see if you would be happy there. If there is no one to advise you on your choice we can arrange for someone independent to advise you.

If you want to see what is available you can use the search facility on the right hand side of this page. Just enter the type of care needed and the area you are interested in then click next.  Alternatively, please click here to download the list of care homes in Blackburn with Darwen.

Or you can visit the NHS Choices website to find a list of local homes.  The website also has links to the homes' CQC reports.

Blackburn with Darwen Quality Assurance Scheme (QAS)

Blackburn with Darwen operates a Quality Assurance Scheme (QAS) for Care Homes. Some Care Homes have met the standards of the Blackburn with Darwen Quality Assurance Scheme and some have met an Enhanced Quality Assurance Standard. We have included the QAS rating for each home in our care home directory.  You can look at the care home directory by using the search box above. 

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

All registered nursing homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission so if you visit their website you will find copies of recent inspection reports.

How much does it cost?

The costs of nursing homes vary, depending on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need. Some staff will be qualified nurses and this means that the charges are higher than in a residential home.

Fees for care homes for older people

Blackburn with Darwen has agreed fee rates for care homes for older people in the Blackburn with Darwen area. When the resident is funded by the Adult Social Care department these rates are the maximum rates the Adult Social Care department will pay. You should ask the home of your choice for information about fees before you decide which home you go into, if the home charges more than the Blackburn with Darwen agreed rate a third party will have to agree to fund the difference. You should ask your social worker for advice if the home of your choice charges more than the Blackburn with Darwen agreed rate.

The current agreed weekly rates for nursing care are as follows:

Type of care

Current weekly rate (updated 01/04/2021)

Excluding FNC

Nursing non QAS


Nursing QAS


Nursing Enhanced QAS


Dementia Nursing QAS


Dementia Nursing Enhanced QAS



For residential care rates please click here

Can I get help with the cost?

Help towards the cost of nursing home care is provided in part by the NHS and in part by the Council.

Everyone assessed as requiring a nursing home to meet their nursing needs is entitled to a weekly contribution from the NHS regardless of their income or savings. This is paid directly to the nursing home.  For April 2019 - March 2020 this is £158.16 per week.

You may be entitled to financial support from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council to cover some of the remaining cost if you are assessed as requiring a nursing home. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. Please contact the Income and Assessment team to find out more (contact details below).

Further help

There is a useful section on Age UK's website about care homes, click the link below to find out more.

Age UK - care homes


People in a home

Choose a home to suit you

Care Needed   

Useful contacts

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Income and Assessment Team)
Address: F Floor, Tower Block, King William Street, Blackburn, BB1 7DY
Phone: (01254) 588842

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Address: Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Phone: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) /
Address: 3rd floor, 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP
Phone: 0800 377 70 70

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone. Depending on your personal situation, we may follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your needs, discuss what help is available and what type of home would best meet your needs.