Change font size:

What is available?

If you are having problems getting up and down stairs and generally moving around your home we may be able to help you.

We can assess your practical needs and then consider which pieces of major equipment can help you. It could be a stair lift or a hoist to help your carer move you around your home. It may be that an adaptation to your home, such as a ramp or level access shower, could enable you to remain living there independently.

Another way to keep your independence is to move into a more suitable property, sheltered or supported housing that has been specially designed to better suit your needs. Please click here if you would like more information.

Major equipment and adaptations

Who can get it?

People over the age of 18, who live in Blackburn with Darwen and who need help due to sight or hearing loss, a physical or learning disability, frailty or illness. To help maintain independence and quality of life we may be able to provide major pieces of equipment or carry out adaptations to the home.

In order to work out just what would make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment, and a member of the Aids and Adaptations team will discuss your needs with you.

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

How much does it cost?

This will depend on the equipment or adaptations required.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible, particularly if you are on benefits. We will apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) on your behalf and this will include details of your finances. This means that the amount you pay towards the cost of any adaptation work will depend on your income and any savings you have, not on how much work you have done.

Case study

Click here to view a case study showing how major adaptations have helped a man from Blackburn with Darwen.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.  When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your needs and what equipment and adaptations are available to help you.

Purchasing your own equipment

If you would prefer to purchase your own equipment, you can visit one of the following local suppliers.  These are locally accredited retailers who can fulfill prescriptions for equipment and have a wide knowledge of what equipment is available.

Homewise - Disability Aids Recycling Centre
Homewise Disability Aids Recycling Centre sells reconditioned daily living aids at a fraction of the recommended retail price to help people remain living safely and independently in their own homes.  Homewise is a charitable organisation and they offer a  free home assessment service throughout East Lancashire performed by trained trusted assessors, this ensures that the client is purchasing the correct product to suit their specific needs. 

Address:  Unit 3, Allied House, Burnley Road, Altham, Lancashire, BB5 5TW
Telephone: (01254) 232249 

Choice Mobility
Address: 104 King Street, Blackburn, BB2 2DT
Phone: 01254 680808
Fax: 01254 848002

Scoota Mart Blackburn
Address: 61 Darwen Street, Blackburn, BB2 2BL
Phone: 01254 680203 or freephone 0800 0198535
Fax: 01254 681314

Mobility Services Plus
Address: 53 Duckworth Street, Darwen, BB3 1AR
Phone: 01254 761894

image of woman on stairlift